Tuesday, April 26, 2011

books books books. my love


"You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me."
 
— C.S. Lewis

The perk of living down the street from my elementary school was that I didn't need to wake up early. but i did. I'd set my alarm so I could wake up early and spend a good hour (maybe more) curled up on my bed getting in some good solid chapters before begrudgingly rising to dress. I distinctly remember loving to go sit in the library and going down the rows picking up a couple books for the weekend and asking the librarian for suggestions. I remember getting my first library card when i couldnt see over the counter. Sitting outside on this massive treestump reading during recess because I just couldn't put it down. Reading at the bus stop.  Getting caught late at camp reading beneath my covers.  I spend my money on books sometimes more than I do on clothes. I have a list of books I just wish i had the time to read. My favorite places are book stores and I'm that weird girl that loves sniffing the pages of an old book in a second hand shop. I often order coffee or lunch and go sit down to read by myself at a restaurant to be so engrossed in the book that i forget to take a bite. I amuse myself with books. I cant wait to share this love with my children- to introduce them to The Bible, to Dr. Seuss, to Aslan, to Harry Potter...


The love of a good book. that just won't change. not ever. reading was the first thing i was ever good at. my greatest talent. of course, it's my greatest talent--it's the one thing that i get to be good at and never have to share with anyone else. i wouldn't be able to share it even if i tried. convenient, isn't it?  I couldn't enter a pageant with this talent and no one can fight me on this one, you see? but what i mean is--my ability to fall into a story--for the words to fade away behind images that arise naturally without conscious thought--is this making sense? at all?

not to worry, in this thing (at least) words fail me.  I know the differences between books and reality, but, by goodness, Im going to try to make my life a little like my favorite book. I have to give it a shot somehow- because then i look at my life as a story- that deserves to be read and deserves to be amazing- and is wonderful and full of color. Books teach. books give me hope- they romance my heart. They are my escape when I can't handle the confines of my own mind. they let me breathe and smile and have emotion. do we think- maybe thats why the bible is written in a story? That God knows this about our hearts- I dont think its a mistake.



Right now i just cant wait for finals to be over- and to be able to sit down and read without any thought to the time.. i day dream about having a wonderful open breakfast nook with great colorful cushions, a huge cup of constant comment tea, a blueberry scone, morning light streaming, and a wonderful book that i can enjoy before the bussle of my everyday life. what a great way to start the day. im ridiculous



No comments:

Post a Comment